Monday, December 14, 2009

Hurry Up and Wait

First, let me start by saying Greg is stable for now. He's still considered critical, still in ICU, still sedated, and still on a ventilator. Its definitely pneumonia, but they still don't know what kind. All bets are on some sort of fungus (insert previous rant against fungus of your choice here), and they're treating for that, as well as bacterial, viral and anything else they can think of.

On Friday, the pulmonary doctor came in and said that the bronchial "wash" they did showed large, abnormal cells and that he thought it was a secondary malignancy, but that they can't do a biopsy because of his low platelet count. He also said there's some unknown "mass" in his lungs. Needless to say, I had a mini nervous breakdown. It wasn't until Saturday afternoon that I got to see his oncologist, who said that while its a remote possibility, she doesn't think the rest of his symptoms are consistent with that. The infectious disease doctor thinks this is fungal, so I'm not circleing the wagons just yet. But there's just no way to know without a biopsy, and there's no way these guys are going to do a biopsy here with his low platelet count.

On Saturday, we (his oncologist and I) decided its probably best to move him to Barnes. She's leaving the country for 2 or 3 weeks, and the rest of the docs in her practice don't see too many BMT patients. Plus, if there is something going on in his lungs that is worse than what they're thinking here, he's better off there. They probably have the means to do a biopsy there.

The other issue is his DLI (stem cell "booser"). The National Marrow Center won't even collect the cells until his medical condition improves. So, if he's there, and he improves, they can go ahead and collect the cells, fly them in and give them to him. For reasons that have not been explained to me, they don't want to freeze this batch. They want to give them to him fresh.

The problem is, as usual, there are no beds at Barnes. He needs an ICU bed, preferably in the BMT Unit. Saturday we got a bed in the Unit, but no helicopters could take off because of weather. They held the bed until Sunday morning, but the helicopter was scheduled for maintenance. They were going to try to get a "loaner" (seriously), but none were available. So, they had to release the bed. Today, the weather is good, the helicopter is OK, so naturally there are NO ICU beds in the entire hospital, let alone on the ICU Unit. So, we're back to doing what we do best (or at least, most) -- waiting.

The bottom line is, he's maintaining the status quo. The docs here are saying he's not really much better, but he's no worse. Its all very frustrating. But, as I always say, it beats the alternative.

I'll post again when I know something. I just don't know what city I will be in when I do. Until then, thanks to all for prayers and support. We need both really badly right now.

Love,

Greg & Ann & the Boys

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am praying for you my friend. You are the strongest person I know. Love you lots....Shelly

Judy said...

Love you guys.....

Us

~and when Greg is better, remind me to remind him that there are better ways to get frequent flyer miles...

Michelle R. Grade said...

Annie - Hugs, Kisses and Lots and Lots of Prayers. Shelly Grade - Judy's friend!

Francis said...

I am so glad that my direct line to the big guy is on an unlimited plan. It will continue to be busy.